Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Starting on the Garden

Yippee!  We started on the garden today!  Well, we just tilled part of it, but at least we're getting the ball rolling!  Here's a picture of me taking a turn at the tiller.  (Daddy did the first round, then Leah and I took a turn the second round, and then Daddy finished up.)



We have been planting in this spot for several years, so the soil is rich and fertile.  In my new plots (we are going to do some raised beds this year), I'll add my compost from the pile that I started last year.  (If you don't compost, I would suggest that you start!  It's a great way to get rid of your raw vegetable/fruit scraps, leaves, old dirt, and other stuff, and it doesn't take a complicated science to get some results!  Just do some research...you can get as fancy or simple as you want!) 

I'm thinking about planting some new things this year and planting more herbs than I normally do.  I am going to try planting basil near my tomatoes...I have read that it makes the tomatoes sweeter while repelling certain insects.  Sounds good to me!

Oh, before I forget, here are some pictures of the dress I made last night...

Sewing the bias tape on...

Topstiching the bottom piece.

(I am going to get a better view...do you like my curtains?)
The finished product...a cute, spring green, size 2T pillowcase dress!


I am looking forward to posting pictures of our garden progress!  The daffodils are blooming here in the Foothills of NC!  Spring is right around the corner!

Blessings to you!
Taylor


3 comments:

Myra Key said...

What an awesome young lady you are....My mother-in-law and her siblings gave me their mother's sewing machine and cabinet..She passed away years ago..it meant so much to me that they wanted me to have it. The finish is worn from where her hands rubbed after many years of sewing. I wouldn't have it refinished for anything. I've always wanted to learn to sew, but I literally cannot sew a stitch. I told my mother-in-law that I wanted to learn to sew, so this is why they decided to give the sewing machine to me. It brought tears to my eyes. But now, I'm at a loss as to how I should go about learning to use it. Any suggestions?? I'm really sewing illiterate.

Taylor K. Church said...

Miss Key,

What a wonderful heirloom! It will make sewing a little extra special.

About learning to sew...a couple of years ago I was right where you are now. I had a desire to learn, but had no idea how to get started. So, I did some research and the Lord (I know it wasn't "chance") lead me to a sewing shop I had never been to. It turned out that they were having a sewing camp for girls my age. Long story short, I went and learned the basics. It was a great experience, but I wanted to get more in-depth. We talked to the ladies there and they allowed me to take the adult classes (beginner to experienced sewers). It is a little expensive, but it was WELL worth it! Here is a link to the store I went to... http://www.seworiginal.org/Index.html. (Click on "Boone Classes" or "Winston Classes.") I took the classes in Boone (NC), but you could probably do some research on sewing shops in your area that offer classes. Also, here is a link to a DVD that is all about sewing...http://www.visionforum.com/browse/product/default.aspx?productid=43817. (You might have to copy and paste the links.) I have this DVD and enjoy watching it. It starts out with the basics, but you probably would be better off taking a class. (It helps to have your questions answered and to be shown how to sew.) Do you know of anyone that sews? It is always nice to have an experienced friend that can teach you!

I hope this helps! (Sorry for writing a novel!) :) If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. My final advice is to have someone teach you and start with an easy-to-read pattern. (Once you learn, there are some great sewing tutorials out there on the Internet!)

Many blessings!
Taylor

brown said...

Wow Taylor--I would dare-to-say that you and Leah are probably among very few young ladies of your age (you being 15 [16 on April 13th] and Leah being 12 /12) who can tiller. To be honest with you--I think I tried one time and the tiller about ran away with me--that did it for me!!!

Your sewing just gets better and better. When you get your little Asian brothers, you'll have to make them something--I don't believe they'll be able to wear that little pillowcase dress! HA!

Can't wait to eat something out of your garden. We'll share vegies!!

Love dearly,
MaMaw and PaPaw